Stay up-to-date on current communications
Parent Memo for Week of December 6th
The Advent Season always makes me think of the song from the play Godspell “Prepare ye the way of the Lord”. It always fills me with hope and energy despite all that we face during this school year of 2021-2022. As we come to the close of 2021, there are many updates to keep in mind.
1. Our Grade 9 students who are enrolled in destreamed mathematics for Semester 1, the EQAO mathematics exam will be running Week 2 (January 26, 27). The exam mark will be part of the Grade 9 mathematics course (MPM1DW). Notre Dame High School is offering a School Numeracy Course (non-credit) for Grade 9 students. These programs will provide an excellent opportunity for students to prepare for the mathematics courses. This course will be offered Virtually taught by exceptional teachers with Mathematics qualifications. The sign up has started, if you are interested in this afterschool (non-credit) program please see attachment letter with more information. Please fill out the secondary school registration form and send it in to the school office. The course will begin December 7, 2021 - January 20, 2021.
2. Our Advent Celebration will take place on Friday, December 10, 2021. Our amazing God Squad and Chaplain Ms. Soave has prepared a wonderful opportunity to reflect. Thank you to Fr. John for being a part of our spiritual journey this year.
3. On Wednesday, December 8, 2021, we will be honouring all the students who have the highest academic mark in specific subject areas. For the Notre Dame student population, this is a very large exceptional group of young students. They are inspiring in their determination to achieve and striving for excellence. Congratulations to all students who will be recognized for Subject Awards.
4. Congratulations to Trustee Angela Kennedy as the elected Chair of the Toronto Catholic District School Board. Trustee has many accomplishments, including being a trustee for our board since 2000, along with being a previous Chair of the Board of Trustees. But her real claim to fame is she is a Notre Dame High School Alumni. She is an advocate for our students and works tirelessly for causes in education. As we enter the Advent Season and the season of giving, Trustee Kennedy is happy to announce she is once again running “The St. Brigid’s Out of the Cold Program.” Please see flyer for further information.
5. Semester 1 Exams are scheduled for Week 1 on January 20 and 21 (for Period 1 and 2 respectively). For Week 2, exams will be on January 27 and 28. There will be adjusted tutorial/exam day for January 26 - Further information will be provided closer to the date.
6. Semester 2 will move to Regular Semester Format. Semester 1 will be ending Friday, January 28, 2022. Semester 2 will begin on Monday, January 31, 2022. Based on Toronto Public Health, Semester 2 will move the school day back to four periods a day and two lunches. This regular schedule TCDSB plan is aligned with the TPH guidelines. The TCDSB guidelines will be updated accordingly. Hybrid learning will be available, however, as in Semester 1, there will be limited movement from in-person to hybrid as it will affect attendance database. More details regarding lockers and schedules will follow.
7. In addition to the regular schedule, in consultation with TPH, the TCDSB will be moving forward with requiring all students aged 12+ to be fully vaccinated to participate in indoor inter-school extracurricular activities as well as activities that include participating at a venue that has a vaccination requirement (e.g., Ice Hockey Arenas). Previous extracurricular activities continue to follow TCDSB guidelines and TPH protocols. Please see attached.
8. We are very excited to be running Junior Volleyball and Junior/ Senior Hockey. The girls have attended try-outs and it is wonderful to see the excitement in the school. Thank you to the awesome Athletic Council and Athletic Director Ms. Tomlin for organizing and leading last week’s Spirit Week. There were many photos taken to celebrate the ND students' accomplishments during Spirit Week.
9. Christmas Baskets are in full swing as students, teachers, and staff sponsor families in need. The generosity of the ND community speaks to the kindness and spirit of Notre Dame. Delivery of Christmas Baskets will be on Wednesday, December 15, 2021
10. Upcoming Calendar events will be a Christmas Countdown organized by Student Council the week of December 13 - 17, 2021. Each day will have a fun activity, as our community begins to wind down and prepare for family and friends during the holiday season. Holiday Break begins on Monday, December 20, 2021, until Friday, December 31, 2021. First day back to school after the holidays is Monday, January 3, 2022.
11. Finally, as the holiday break approaches, Toronto Public Health has provided guidelines for International travel. Parents travelling with children outside of Canada must follow federal requirements on return. Please review the information found at this link.
Wishing you all the best during the advent season.
Cheryl-Ann Madeira, B.Sc., B.Ed., M.Ed., Ph.D.
OSSLT Information for Virtual Students
On November 10, Virtual students are invited to participate in the writing of the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT). Successful completion of this test is a requirement for graduating from high school in Ontario with an Ontario Secondary School Diploma. At Notre Dame High School, we are committed to writing this test to give our students the best opportunities. The Ministry mandates that the OSSLT must occur at the school using a Board computer with the OSSLT programing. A computer and all materials will be providd by the school for the student on the day of the test.